Makalu is the 5th Highest mountain in the world and lies in a region that has an incredible diversity of natural beauty and culture. Due to its isolation and lack of tea houses the region still receives very few trekkers as all equipment has to be carried in. Sherpa Rai and Limbus are the main habitants in this area.From Tumlingtar we trek a long way up the Arun River valley past some beautiful farmhouses along with small temples and gompas and extremely colourful vegetation & flowers. Many different ethnic groups live here including Rai Limbu and Sherpa.The trek travels north of the Arun river to Sedua and Nun before crossing over the Barun La(4110m.)into the upper Barun Khola valley for a close look at Makalu(8463m).After a night at Base Camp we trek back down to Tumlingtar for the flight back to Kathmandu.
A. Itinerary in Detail (24 Days)
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu. Welcome and pick up / transfer to hotel / tour briefing.
Day 02: City tour in Kathmandu which includes visits to many historical and architectural monuments.
Day 03 : Kathmandu – Tumlingtar by plane / walk up to Khandbari
Day 04 : Khandbari – Chichira
Day 05 : Chichira – Num
Day 06 : Num – Seduwa
Day 07 : Seduwa – Tashi Gaon
Day 08 : Tashi Gaon – Kauma
Day 09 : Kauma rest.
Day 10 : Kauma – Mumbuk
Day 11 : Mumbuk – Ripock Kharka
Day 12 : Ripock Kharka – Shersang
Day 13 : Shersang – Makalu base camp
Day 14 : Makalu base camp Excursion
Day 15 : Base camp – Back to Ripock Kharka
Day 16 : Ripock Kharka – Mumbuk
Day 17 : Mumbuk – Kauma
Day 18 : Kauma – Tashi Gaon
Day 19 : Tashi Gaon – Num
Day 20 : Num – Chichira
Day 21 : Chichira – Khandbari
Day 22 : Khandbari – Tumlingtar
Day 23 : Tumlingtar – By plane to Kathmandu.
Day 24: Transfer to airport / flight back home or to onward destination.
Cost: Please contact us for a quote
(The cost varies with the number of trekkers in the group. Please contact us with the number of trekkers for the exact quote)
- Accommodation in Kathmandu on bed and breakfast basis as per the itinerary
- City tour in Kathmandu with guide by private car
- Entry fees when sightseeing in Kathmandu
- National Park Trekking/Entry Permit
- Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) registration fee
- Round trip / internal flights / overland transport / if needed / as per the itinerary
- Accommodation in guest houses/lodges during the trek
- Three meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) a day during the trek
- Qualified and experienced trekking guide and porter services
- Transportation, accommodation, meal allowance, equipment and insurance for trekking staff
- All the official paper work and all the applicable government taxes
- Airport transfers for internal flights
- Sleeping bag, down jacket and rucksack if required
- Airport pick-up on arrival and drop-off on departure
- Meals other than breakfast when staying in hotels
- Personal expenses and bar bills
- Clients’ travel insurance
- Tips and gratuities
Important Note and Optional Activities
Please note: All the trekking itineraries are flexible and can be revised in order to best meet your requirements i.e. your time, interests etc. Please make contact with us if you have any special requirements or interest.